The 22 acres recently preserved by the Trust at New Market Heights, located in the rapidly developing suburbs of Richmond, Va., are a landscape marked by the resolute footsteps of Col. Samuel Duncan’s and Col. Alonzo G. Draper’s brigades of USCT soldiers. The dauntless valor of 2,000 Black soldiers at this site led to 14 USCT soldiers receiving the Medal of Honor. Buoyed by the tireless support of Trust members and an instrumental matching grant from the Virginia Battlefield Preservation Fund, this project demonstrates the Trust’s enduring dedication to save sites steeped in long-lost memory and bring narratives of Black valor to the forefront.
In a city often linked to the colonial period, the Trust — in partnership with the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation and supported by the American Battlefield Protection Program, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and our committed donors — has triumphed in saving 29 Civil War acres at the Williamsburg Battlefield that were originally zoned for commercial use. Studying the site provides opportunities to honor seven valiant American soldiers who earned the Medal of Honor at Williamsburg and to tell important stories of often overlooked African American involvement in the Civil War.
The largest remaining portion of the Stones River Battlefield, 42 acres of hallowed ground once considered lost to development, has been forever protected in an acquisition by the American Battlefield Trust. The tract, previously owned by O’Reilly Auto Parts, was secured due to the corporation’s gracious deal in combination with grants from the American Battlefield Protection Program and the Tennessee Civil War Sites Preservation Fund (TCWSPF) and generous donations from Trust members. Quite fortunate, the Trust’s work to protect this tract also led to the preservation of an adjacent six-acre parcel at this treasured Tennessee battlefield.
The scene of some of the heaviest fighting in the entire Civil War, three key acres in the West Woods at Antietam have been saved as a result of the quick support demonstrated by our loyal members. This acreage marks where numerous Confederate brigades launched their advances into the West Woods and toward the Dunker Church it is also home to stories of strife and perseverance. The Trust plans to transfer the land to the National Park Service, expanding the possibilities for future interpretation and visitation at Antietam National Battlefield.
The largest piece of the Shepherdstown Battlefield yet protected, a mighty 278-acre parcel of land at the Borden Farms, has been safeguarded via conservation easement. A product of collaboration, this victory was made possible by the Jefferson County Farmland Protection Board (JCFPB), the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Land Easement Program, as well as the Trust and its unwavering members. The Trust provided a grant to fund the easement, which is held by the JCFPB; the local group will be responsible for maintaining the land.
Nine important acres that figure into important eras of American history – the Civil War’s 1863 battles for Chattanooga and the Cherokee removal process known as the Trail of Tears – have been saved through our members’ generous support. The purchase was made possible by matching grants from the National Park Service and the State of Tennessee. This land, plus 15 other acres we have preserved at Brown’s Ferry, will be transferred to National Park Partners, an outstanding regional group ideally positioned for ongoing stewardship.
Two tracts of land at the War of 1812 Battle of Sackets Harbor have been saved through our members’ generous support. Now transferred to the State of New York, the land at Horse Island and its causeway will now become important additions to the Sackets Harbor Battlefield State Historic Site.
Thanks to the efforts of our donors, plus the availability of state grants and generous landowner donations 101 acres of 1862 Civil War history are now saved! These five tracts include 61 acres at Shiloh in the West, and crucial tracts at Fredericksburg, Glendale and South Mountain in the East.
Thanks to your generous support, the Trust has now saved 31 acres of hallowed ground, securing a major victory for the Liberty Trail at Hanging Rock in South Carolina and adding to our ongoing preservation efforts at Guilford Courthouse in North Carolina. The Revolutionary War’s Southern Campaign played a critical role in the fight for American Independence, and now, because of you, those stories will never be forgotten.
201 acres at the Civil War Battle of Rappahannock Station are now saved, thanks to the efforts of our donors, supported by a coalition of federal and state agencies, plus nonprofit organizations and private donors. Saving this land not only protects history from two battles (August, 1862 and November, 1863), but it also helps expand recreational opportunities for the community.