Charles Henry Manship, a decorative painter and craftsman by trade, built the Manship House. Manship served Jackson as the first mayor for two terms during the Civil War in 1862 and 1863. The Confederate fortifications protecting the city from invasion from the north were located nearby. Two of Manship's sons, David Daley and Charles Henry Jr., served the Confederacy.
Jackson, Mississippi | This building was the site of Mississippi's Secession Convention, January 1861, and it continued as the seat of state government until May 1863, when it was evacuated before the Battle of Jackson and later vandalized by Federal troops.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve Civil War battlefields and the nation’s history for generations to come.