The Boyd House, also known as The Oaks, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Built about 1853, this was the home of longtime mayor James H. Boyd both before and after the Civil War. The house is one of the few extant structures to have survived the burning of Jackson and is now a museum operated by the Colonial Dames.
Jackson, Mississippi | This building was the site of Mississippi's Secession Convention, January 1861, and it continued as the seat of state government until May 1863, when it was evacuated before the Battle of Jackson and later vandalized by Federal troops.
Join t Fight
Donate today to preserve Civil War battlefields and the nation’s history for generations to come.